Tuesday, October 9, 2007

to boise and back

Whew! I made it. I managed to get Lily and myself to Boise and back. There were a few bumps in the road, but all in all, it was a great trip.

My dear friend Kate Harding-Swartley (she hates the hyphen, but it honors her situation) was getting remarried last Saturday. Her late husband, Cory Harding, died a little over 2 years ago from a brain tumor. He was survived by Katie and their daughter Langley. She met an amazing man, Bill Swartley, and they now are husband, wife and Langley.

Katie and I met while working at the INN as interns. The women who worked together that year have been meeting yearly (or trying to). Breeze and I were the only two who could attend the wedding. She brought her youngest son, kai, 3 1/2 months, and he was a dream. So easy going and relaxed compared with my crazy, busy Lily.

I drove up to my parents last Wednesday to drop off Eloise. I was a little worried as to how she would handle mom and lily being away for 4 days, but she sailed right through. Loving every minute at Nana's.

Breeze and I flew out Thursday morning. Both babies did wonderfully on the flight. Upon arriving in Boise we were able to spend the day and evening with Katie and the family. We relaxed on the living room floor and enjoyed the company of great friends. This living room floor seems to hold many a memory for me. Praying for Katie as she walked through dealing with Cory's sickness, remembering Cory as we prepared for his memorial, and this day, a meal and stories before preparing for Katie's wedding.

Friday morning we headed to Java, this wonderful little cafe with the most fantastic oatmeal with bananas and steamed milk. Then to see Katie again before she headed off to the rehearsal. On the off time we shopped and drove around hoping for the occasional car nap to fend off meltdowns.

Saturday, wedding day. We were both surprisingly emotional. I think I had some sort of jitters the entire day. The site of Katie walking down the isle sprouted some emotions we didn't know we had. It was a bittersweet feeling. Heavy on the sweet and light on the bitter. I was so excited for Katie to have found this wonderful love and for Langley to have a father figure in her life. But at the same time, reminded of what Katie didn't have, Cory. I know for her this process has been long and I'm sure this day couldn't have come fast enough, but for those who haven't been able to walk the process, it was emotional.

After the wedding we enjoyed a fantastic reception of good food and good wine. (I think I would have enjoyed it more without lily) It was a great celebration for all.

Sunday we had a wonderful brunch all together. Then back to Katie's to wait for our flight later that night. We enjoyed another day of memories on that living room floor. Talking, laughing, eating chinese and opening wedding gifts. I even got away for a nap with lily on katie's bed.

Finally, it was time to return to home. I was certainly ready and I think lily was too. She screamed for most of the plane ride home. Thankfully, we had wonderful flight attendants and 6 or so other moms with babies lily's age. I tried as hard as I could not to burst into tears because I couldn't get her crying under control. I held it in until I climbed into my dad's truck when he picked us up from the airport. I think the emotions from the weekend and the emotional airplane ride resulted in a meltdown. I was so excited to see Eloise and then return home to see Dave. We are so happy to be home.

We wish Bill, Kate & Langley all the joy in the world. May the Lord bless you and keep you always.


Cutzi said...

Thank you so much for posting about this Kate. I was blessed to read of God's faithfulness and gifts through and beyond suffering. Beautiful.

ps. I would have been teary all day too. I'm so emotional these last few years.